Body Poetry: Unearthing the Wisdom of the Body
- Sat 12th Oct 2019, 10am – 1pm
- The Psychedelic Society, Greenhouse, 8 Mackintosh Lane, London, UK
- Facebook event
- Enquiries to email@example.com
Body Poetry is a movement and wording practice that can support us in unlocking the wisdom, emotion and creativity of the body.
When we enter the body, we are often met with fresh ways of understanding ourselves and the world: the body’s wisdom is raw, non-linear, messy and surprising. In this practice, we shift between intuitive movement, words, and stream-of-consciousness writing to map out the information that we encounter on our bodyjourneys.
In movement, we experiment with different ways of connecting with our bodyknowing. The stories that emerge, of body and word, can support us in giving space to the parts of ourselves that might live on the edges of our being: emotion, shadow, desire, animalness. As we bring these elements of self into full expression, we will ask questions with the body, using words as anchor points for different explorations of who we are, and how we move through life. We will also practice body-dreaming, experimenting with how we might break out of habitual patterns of movement, and into expansiveness, choice. In dance and word, we will notice where our thresholds lie, and consider how we might move through any arising discomfort creatively.
As well as moving and wording alone, we will work together to explore the shared bodyknowing that connects us all. This can often open us to new insights into our experience, as well as revealing to us the diversity and sameness that we all share as human bodysouls.
This practice is a useful tool in supporting our self-expression. It can refresh our creative process and activate bodymind connection, as well as offering us alternative ways of connecting to ourselves and others.
Let’s come together to lean into the knowing of the body, to release and dream, to learn and unlearn, to break and expand.
Tickets from £10-£20
About the Facilitator:
Sophie Marsh is a mover, writer, artist and facilitator who guides people back into the raw creative truth of their own bodies. She works in a range of different indoor, outdoor and community settings. She has just completed an MA in Creative Writing & Education, where she was researching movement & writing as a combined practice for self-transformation. You can find out more about her work here: www.sophilosofia.webnode.com
Did you know that members of the Psychedelic Society get 10% off all our events? Join from £5 a month and become part of this amazing community! https://psychedelicsociety.org.uk/become-a-member
- Doors open at 10:00 and close at 10:15. To ensure the quality of the event, late comers will not be admitted
- We do not offer refunds or exchanges, but you can resell your tickets to friends, or on Ticket Swap
- Our UK events are intended for a sober audience. We kindly ask that you respect this request.
- Events at our Homerton space are up two flight of stairs, so we are sorry to say we do not yet have wheelchair access.
- This event features a lot of movement, if you are not sure if this is suitable to you please contact the facilitator.
- For enquires please email firstname.lastname@example.org